Visiting the United States is a great experience for foreign travelers. However, health insurance is a bit costly if you don’t plan accordingly. We are here to help you find the best health insurance for visitors to USA.
Not only does insurance help you if some unforeseen illness or injury occurs but it might be required by some of the U.S. states as well.
We know, it is a bit confusing to choose insurance when you have hundreds of options out there but is very crucial to choose the right insurance as per your needs.
Our Top Health Insurance Options
- AIG Travel Guard: Looking a reputable medical insurance provider that also specializes in travel? AIG Travel Guard is one of the most reputable insurance providers in the world. Get Health Insurance Now
- Atlas Travel Medical Insurance: Looking for the most reliable medical insurance for travel? Atlas Travel Insurance provides customizable travel medical insurance at an affordable price. Get Health Insurance Now
- AARDY: Not sure what plan is the best for you? Use AARDY to find the best policy and rate out there. Compare Rates
- World Nomads: Need to protect yourself and your trip? World Nomads offers the most comprehensive health and travel insurance options at an affordable price. Get Health Insurance Now
- TravelInsurance.com: Get a travel insurance quote from a number best travel insurance providers instantly. Get a Quote Now
As a result, we bring this post for you that will make you aware of some of the best health insurance for visitors to the USA.
Table of Contents
- Best Travel Health Insurance Plans Summary
- Best Health Insurance for Visitors to USA
- 1. Atlas America
- 2. InsureMyTrip
- 3. Cover America – Gold
- 4. Patriot America Plus
- 5. Liaison Travel Choice
- 6. ChoiceAmerica
- 7. International Major Medical
- 8. Patriot Platinum Insurance
- 9. Inbound USA Insurance
- 10. Visitors Care Insurance
- 11. Safe Travels USA Insurance
- How to Get Health Insurance for USA Visitors & Tourists
- Why You Should Buy Visitor Medical Insurance When Visiting the USA
- What Does Visitor Medical Insurance for the USA Include?
- Emergency medical expenses
- Acute onset of pre-existing conditions
- Accidental death & dismemberment
- Emergency Medical Evacuation / Repatriation
- PPO Network
- What are the benefits of visitor health insurance?
- How much does visitor health insurance cost?
- What is the best health insurance for visitors to the USA?
- Can tourists get health insurance in the USA?
- What happens if a tourist gets sick in the USA?
Best Travel Health Insurance Plans Summary
Here is a summarized version of our top picks for visitors insurance for health coverage in the United States.
|Best Travel Medical Insurance Search Engine||InsureMyTrip|
|Best USA Health Insurance for International Students||Inbound USA Basic Insurance|
|Best USA Health Insurance for Parents
||Cover America Gold|
|Best USA Health Insurance for Pre-Existing Conditions||Patriot Platinum Insurance Plan||Best USA Visitors Health Insurance Overall||Atlas America|
Best Health Insurance for Visitors to USA
Now, let’s have a look at some of the best health insurance options.
1. Atlas America
Atlas America is considered one of the best visitor insurance options. It is a reputable insurance firm licensed and regulated by the Dept. of Insurance in the United States. Atlas America’s claims are handled in the USA.
Administered by HCC MIC, the insurance plan is designed to provide visitor medical insurance coverage and medical emergency services to individuals and families traveling to the USA.
It provides you coverage for acute onset of pre-existing medical conditions, but with some limits.
Within the PPO network, you can get up to 100% coverage. Outside the PPO network, the insurance allows you to take medical assistance from a large number of doctors, medical facilities, and hospitals.
The plan offers coverage from $50,000 up to $2,000,000 for pre-existing medical health conditions for those who are under 69.
For ages 70 -79, the insurance pays up to $100,000.
- Rated “A” Plan
- Comprehensive insurance plans provide 100% Coverage
- Covers Outside the PPO Network as well.
- Easy to renew and cancel
- Medical coverage during travel
InsureMyTrip is one of the top travel medical insurance options. They have a wide variety of plans to choose from, and they are always up-to-date on the latest changes in health insurance regulations.
This makes them an ideal choice for anyone looking for travel health insurance.
InsureMyTrip also offers excellent customer service. If you have any questions about your policy, or if you need to file a claim, their customer service representatives are always ready and willing to help.
They also offer a wide range of resources on their website, so you can learn more about your policy and what it covers.
If you’re looking for health insurance, InsureMyTrip is a great option to consider to find the best travel health insurance for the best price. They have a wide variety of visitor insurance plans to choose from, and they offer excellent customer service.
So if you’re looking for travel health insurance, InsureMyTrip is a great choice.
- Stay healthy while traveling with routine and preventive medical benefits
- Prescription drug benefits and other non-emergency medical benefits
- No expensive medical bills to worry about
- Comprehensive travel insurance plans offered including lost luggage, trip interruption and more
- Easy to purchase coverage with an instant purchase online option to be fully covered, even for international travelers
See Related: Best Family Travel Insurance Options
3. Cover America – Gold
Cover America is one of the most popular travel health insurance plans proving 100% coverage after the deductible. This insurance has a myriad of features making it an ideal travel medical insurance option for people visiting America.
Cover America insurance provides coverage against the loss of a passport, border entry protection, missed flights, and return flights.
Apart from this, insurance is also available for the pre-existing health conditions you’re suffering from.
Anyone, who is up to the age of 69 can buy this insurance. The maximum coverage you get under this insurance is $125,000 while for treatments like Cardiac and Stroke, the maximum coverage is $36,000.
- Cover America Gold is an “A+” rated plan
- Urgent care copay $20-$25, depending on policy max
- Comprehensive Coverage Plan
- Provides coverage from 5 days to 364 days
- You get a free wellness discount card along with
- Provides coverage for a cruise, border entry, and amusement park
- Total coverage for $125,000 for those who are under the ages of 69 and $30,000 for ages 70 to 79
- Comprehensive PPO network in the United State under PHCS
4. Patriot America Plus
Patriot America Plus Insurance is another best visitor insurance for parents visiting the USA. After you pay the deductible, the plan provides you up to 100% coverage within the United Healthcare PPO Network.
If you choose to get medical care outside this network, the insurance will pay 80%
Patriot America Plus Insurance can be taken by non-US citizens, green card holders as well those US citizens who briefly visit the country. The insurance is designed to cover medical conditions like accidents, injuries, ICU, surgery, MRI, and lab work.
Similar to Cover America, this plan covers a time frame between 5 days to 365 days.
- Coverage up to $500,000 for acute onset of pre-existing conditions
- Comprehensive coverage plan for international travel
- Easy to renew and cancel
- Medical coverage during travel to mitigate healthcare costs
- PPO Network
See Related: Best Health Insurance for Travel Nurses
5. Liaison Travel Choice
Liaison Travel Choice is counted among the top health insurance plans for visitors to the USA.
After all, it pays up to $30,000 for pre-existing health conditions. Moreover, travelers get free discount care which is applicable at most pharmacies in the United States.
After the deductible amount, the insurance plan pays up to 90% within the PPO (Preferred Provider Organization) network while outside the network, it pays up to 80%.
The insurance company pays 90% of the first $5000 and then covers 100% for anything within the network.
- It is an “A” rated plan
- Provides 90% to 100% coverage
- Gives up to $30,000 coverage for acute onset of pre-existing conditions
- Renewable and cancellable
- Provide complete medical coverage during travel
- Coverage from 5 to 364 days.
- A great option for family travelers.
See Related: Can I Travel During the Naturalization Process?
For those who don’t know what is visitor health insurance, it is a short-term travel medical insurance policy that enables visitors visiting any country to get coverage protection for accidental injury or illness.
What makes this insurance different from other insurance options is that it allows you to visit any doctor or hospital you find best for you.
Moreover, the insurance plan has a pre-defined limit for each medical service that eliminates the guesswork out of the equation. The insurance plan also covers cruises and amusement parks in both North and South America.
Note: This plan is not available to US residents. However, a visitor visiting the United States from any country can take advantage of this plan.
- You get a set amount per happening up to policy maximum
- It is an affordable insurance plan but comes with fewer benefits comparatively
- Provides coverage from five days up to one year
- Limited pre-existing condition coverage
- Offers coverage for amusement parks and adventure sports injuries
- Offers coverage for essential travel documents such as a passport.
See Related: Best Travel Insurance for South America
7. International Major Medical
The International Major Medical Plan is administered by PIU Lloyd’s of London. If you need to purchase short-term visitors’ medical insurance to visit the United States, you may consider this option as well.
It is intended to provide coverage to those people temporarily working in the United States, new immigrants, and short-term visitors to the USA.
The insurance plan gives coverage from 10 days to 11 months.
With this plan, you get the policy from $50,000 to $1,000,000. The insurance policy is quite popular among the age group of 70 years to 84 years.
The company quickly accepts and approves the application. As soon as you pay for it your insurance is confirmed right away. We recommend using VisitorsCoverage to get the best possible price on this medical plan.
- Comprehensive coverage plans that provide coverage from 10 days to 11 months.
- Urgent care
- Medical coverage during travel
- 100% up to the policy maximum
See Related: Free Printable Travel Planner
8. Patriot Platinum Insurance
Administrated by IMG, Patriot Platinum is a travel medical insurance plan that covers all the essential expenses from traditional travel insurance.
It is a good plan for senior citizens aged between 70 to 79 years. The insurance plan has been receiving good feedback and reviews from customers.
All its claims are handled in the United States. Within the POP network, the insurance plan compensates up to 100% while out of network, you get 90% of the first $5,000 and then 100% up to the policy maximum.
Additionally, for sudden and unexpected recurrence of a pre-existing condition.
- Complete coverage for pre-existing medical issues & urgent care
- Coverage is available for 5 days to 1 year
- You can renew and cancel it at your convenience
- Comprehensive coverage plan
- Provides satisfying treatments within the PPO network
See Related: How to Find Hacker Fares to Save Money
9. Inbound USA Insurance
This limited coverage insurance plan covers non-US citizens paying a short visit to the United States.
Since it is a basic plan, it won’t provide the benefits of full-fledged plans. It is a low-cost insurance plan that pays coverage per incident.
Inbound USA Insurance can’t be used by US citizens who are green card holders and traveling in and out of the USA. Since it is a limited coverage plan, it will only pay up to a certain amount for each treatment.
In case the bill goes beyond that amount, you will need to take care of the expenses yourself.
If you’re looking for an affordable, basic plan you may consider it.
AM Best (a popular US-based rating company) has given it an A rating.
- Administrated by Seven Corners (A well-known reputable insurance administrator)
- Rated “A” by AM Best and A+ by Standard & Poor’s
- Highly rated travel insurance company
- Any non-us citizens traveling to America can leverage this plan
See Related: Hotel vs Motel vs Inn – What’s the Difference?
10. Visitors Care Insurance
Visitors Care is another best low-cost insurance plan for parents, in-laws, and other relatives traveling to the U.S.
International Medical Group manages this insurance while Sirius International Insurance Corporation underwrites it.
The insurance provides instant coverage for insurance policies of $100,000, $50,000 or $25,000.
As per your requirement, you can purchase the insurance from 5 days to 1 year and can renew it for up to 2 years.
Visitors Care is available for immediate coverage The good thing is, it is easy to renew and cancel. If you need to cancel this insurance, you will get a full refund before the effective date of the policy.
After the effective date, you will receive funds on a pro-rated basis, minus a $25 cancellation fee.
Since this is the basic insurance plan, it pays you a fixed amount for each and every procedure.
And you would be accountable to pay the difference out of your own pocket.
- Basis coverage plan
- Coverage from 5 days to 364 days
- Medical coverage during travel
- You can renew and cancel it anytime
- Coverage for pre-existing medical conditions
See Related: 21 Family Travel Hacks to Consider
11. Safe Travels USA Insurance
Safe Travels USA Insurance is an ideal health insurance plan for foreign visitors who are 80 and above.
This comprehensive coverage plan is administered by Trawick International, a well-known US & International travel insurance provider.
Safe Travels USA Insurance plan is designed to cover up to the first $1000 of covered expenses for the unseen recurrence of already-existing medical conditions.
Although you have options to choose from limited coverage plans, it is advisable to choose a comprehensive plan that will give you better protection throughout your entire trip. The insurance plan covers 100% of the policy maximum within the preferred provider organization network.
When you visit the provider within the first health PPO network, a deductible is waived, regardless of which deductible you choose. And when you visit urgent care, you pay a $30 copay.
Besides this, Safe Travels USA insurance also provides coverage for $50,000 in new medical conditions.
- B+ rating (AM best rating), not the highest rated insurance
- Medical coverage during travel
- 80% up to the policy maximum after deductible
- Affordable and good for international students
See Related: Best Travel Insurance for Diabetics
How to Get Health Insurance for USA Visitors & Tourists
When visiting the United States, it is important to have visitor medical insurance in case of an emergency or to cover your pre-existing conditions.
Healthcare costs in the United States can be very expensive, and visitors often do not have access to the same level of healthcare as citizens.
There are a number of different options for health insurance for visitors to the United States. One option is to purchase a travel insurance policy. This type of policy typically covers medical expenses, including hospitalization and surgery, as well as loss of luggage or trip cancellation.
Another option is to purchase a short-term medical insurance policy. This type of policy typically covers doctor’s visits, prescription drugs, and hospitalization. It is important to note that short-term travel medical insurance plans can be a bit more expensive than long-term insurance plans.
There are also a number of visitor medical insurance plans available through the Affordable Care Act (ACA), which are designed to provide coverage for those who do not have access to employer-sponsored health insurance.
These visitor insurance plans are typically offered through state and federal exchanges, and they can be purchased by anyone who is not currently covered by a medical insurance plan.
Finally, it is also possible to purchase private visitor medical insurance for visitors to the United States. This type of policy is typically more expensive than other options, but it may be the best choice for those who need comprehensive coverage.
No matter what type of visitor insurance you choose, it is important to make sure that you are aware of the coverage limits and exclusions.
There are a number of reasons why you should consider getting health insurance for visitors to the United States. Healthcare costs in the United States can be very expensive, and visitors often do not have access to the same level of healthcare as citizens.
Some of the most common reasons that people need healthcare while visiting the United States include:
- Accidents or injuries
- Illnesses, such as the flu or a cold
- Chronic illnesses, such as diabetes or heart disease
- Pregnancy and childbirth
- You have pre-existing conditions that need to be covered.
If you are planning on visiting the United States, it is important to research your options for visitor insurance for medical expenses and choose a policy that meets your needs.
Let’s get to know why do visitors to the United States need health insurance?
Why You Should Buy Visitor Medical Insurance When Visiting the USA
You don’t need to buy visitor health insurance in order to visit the United States. Even in most scenarios, no one is going to ask you for it, until you have to visit a medical care center.
However, you must remember that medical care is quite expensive in the United States – just for consultation and a small treatment, you might have to pay a big amount.
So, if you really want to avoid bad surprises and losing money, it is highly recommended to get the right visitors’ medical insurance before you pay a visit to the US.
A good medical insurance plan will prevent you from spending big money in the hospital, in miserable circumstances.
Check out this travel budget template that will help you build a plan for saving money during your traveling.
What Does Visitor Medical Insurance for the USA Include?
Visitors insurance usually covers someone who becomes sick while on vacation and is injured during the trip.
Emergency medical expenses
Visitors insurance covers all new injuries or illnesses that might occur during the period following the effective date of the policy. In the United States, medical expenses have increased significantly.
The fixed coverage plan has a restricted scope of benefits, but the comprehensive coverage is covered by percentages (80%, 99%, etc.).
Acute onset of pre-existing conditions
In some countries, visitor insurance coverage provides for acute onset of pre-existing conditions for a limited number of people under the age. It can be extremely beneficial for a visitor who suffers preexisting ailments in the United States.
This policy only covers sudden emergency situations and does not cover regular maintenance of previously-awaited conditions.
Accidental death & dismemberment
This protection will pay you if you are unable to recover from an accidental injury and are killed by another person.
Several travel insurance plans offer coverage only for travel on aircraft, cab, or train. Medical expenses are quite expensive in the United States, so ensure you find one of the best travel medical insurance places before your visit to the US.
Get a free quote now to avoid unnecessary risk.
Emergency Medical Evacuation / Repatriation
If the patient became seriously injured or ill during your flight’s emergency evacuation procedure, you should go to an appropriate hospital.
The Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) is a type of health insurance network that offers you the best rates on care. When you visit the provider within the first health PPO network, a deductible is waived, regardless of which deductible you choose.
And when you visit urgent care, you pay a $30 copay.
What are the benefits of visitor health insurance?
Visitor health insurance can provide peace of mind knowing that you will be covered in case of an accident or sudden illness while traveling. It can also help save money on medical expenses, as many insurance plans will cover a portion or all of the costs associated with treatment.
How much does visitor health insurance cost?
The cost of visitor health insurance will vary depending on a number of factors, such as the length of coverage, the type of plan, and the insurer. However, there are a number of affordable options available, so it is possible to find a plan that fits both your needs and budget.
Choosing an ideal travel health insurance plan is very important as in the absence of the right insurance, dealing with claims or getting emergency assistance while traveling can be very daunting.
The best health insurance for visitors to the USA depends on a variety of factors, ranging from age to general health conditions.
In this post, we put together some of the most popular insurances that are considered best from different aspects.
So, choose the one you find best for you and cover yourself against unexpected costs when traveling to the United States.
What is the best health insurance for visitors to the USA?
There are a number of great options for health insurance for visitors to the USA. The best option will depend on your needs and budget. Some popular options include travel insurance, short-term health insurance, and Obamacare. Ultimately, the best option will depend on your individual situation.
Can tourists get health insurance in the USA?
Yes, there are several visitors’ medical insurance plans in the USA; but the plans may not be as comprehensive or cheap as back home. Visitors from countries where health care is subsidized may find temporary U.S. coverage too expensive and opt for a plan with lower benefits if their condition isn’t serious. It is very risky to travel without comprehensive medical coverage.
What happens if a tourist gets sick in the USA?
If a tourist gets sick in the USA, they will likely need to seek medical care. The cost of that care could range from very expensive to absolutely astronomical, depending on the severity of the illness and on what type of medical insurance coverage the tourist has. Without health insurance, a single trip to the ER could bankrupt someone; with good medical insurance, however, most costs will be covered.
- AARDY Travel Insurance Review
- Seven Corners Travel Insurance Review
- World Nomads Travel Insurance Review
- Travelex Insurance Review
- Priority Pass Lounges Review
- Scott’s Cheap Flights Review
- Travel Hacking 101
- How to Become a Home-Based Travel Agent
- Top Sites for Booking Tours
- Best Travel Credit Cards
Use Skyscanner to book the cheapest flight possible. Skyscanner is my favorite flight search engine as you can find flights around the globe and from every airline possible. You'll be in great shape to get the best price possible.
You must grab a free trial or join Scott's Cheap Flights Premium to get cheap flight alerts directly to your email inbox. My favorite cheap flight alert was 25,000 Delta SkyMiles to London non-stop.