My name on PAN card is “Rameshwaram Iyer” and now I want to change it with “Rameshwaram N Iyer”. What would I need to do for changing my name legally and how to go about it? Well, if you also have a same type of query, please read this blog carefully may it will help you to solve your problem more quickly.
Why having a PAN (Permanent Account Number) card is important?
PAN, or permanent account number, is a unique 10-digit alphanumeric identity allotted to each taxpayer by the Income Tax Department under the Indian Income Tax Act, 1962. It is distributed under the supervision of the Central Board of Direct Taxes. It also serves as an identification proof for most of the citizens of India. PAN card is necessary while doing financial transactions on different occasions:
- PAN number copy is required while opening a new bank account with any bank (private/ public/co-operative or others).
- It is necessary when applying for debit and credit card. If you do not submit, your application may get rejected.
- It is also necessary when making insurance payments.
- If you are thinking of buying and selling a car or any other vehicle that cost more than Rs. 5, 00, 000, you need to submit PAN card detail.
- Any property deal will also require PAN details.
There are many other occasions when you need to provide your PAN information for smooth transactions.
Step – By-Step Guidelines to Change PAN Card Information
The request to update PAN information should be forwarded only when you already have a PAN card. However, many steps need to be followed for getting your PAN card information changed. To update your PAN card information, you need to submit your request online at NSDL Website (https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/correctiondsc.html ).
Step 1 – First of all, you need to apply online for updating information in PAN card. Open the NSDL Website (https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/correctiondsc.html )
Step2 – Read all the instructions carefully either in Hindi or English
Step 3 – Scroll down and select the category of yours.
Step 4 – Acquire a PAN Change Request Form.
Step 5 – Fill out all necessary information in the form all along the correct data on the information fields that need to be changed in your PAN card.
Step 6 – When you start submitting your application form, you will need to provide the documents like
- Identity or address proof documents (Gazette notification regarding the change of your name, Newspaper Publication and Affidavit)
- Bank Account Statement
- Voter Identity Card
- School Diplomas
- Driving license
- Credit Card
- Marriage certificate
- If divorced, divorce papers
- Recent photographed
- Present existing PAN card copy
- If you have lost your PAN card submit FIR mentioning the loss information
Step 7 – If you want to do everything without papers PAN Application for Address Change, select YES wherein a Digital Signature is required. Also upload your photograph, signature and other documents as mentioned above digital copies online.
Step 8 – Finally, after doing everything make a payment of processing PAN application fees.
Some key points to consider
- Read every point on the form carefully.
- Fee has to be paid by net banking/demand draft/cheque/DD/ debit card in favor of NSDL-PAN payable at Mumbai
- Don’t forget to fill your existing PAN number
- You can also submit request by sending hard copies of all documents in an envelope to Income Tax PAN Services Unit, NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited, 5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411016.
- Also mention your acknowledgement number on the back side of the DD/Cheque.
- Write on the envelope “Application for PAN CHANGE REQUEST”
NSDL will receive your request and you will get a confirmation email soon.
At last, just make sure that the documents and proofs you provide match the information in the application you already have submitted. You will get your PAN card with an updated information and same number soon. Also, your same information will be updated in the records of Income Tax Department.
Note:- Most of the information is taken from NSDL website for readers help.